A few years ago, grapefruit-based skincare products began making their way onto the market. The reason? Grapefruit seed extract (or GSE) has a unique chemical structure that gives it the ability to kill infectious agents and prevent the spread of bacterial, viral and fungal microbes – great for those dealing with acne!
Grapefruit seed extract is also an excellent source of valuable vitamins and nutrients such as: vitamin C, potassium, fiber, and pectin. Each of these help your cells stay strong and protected.
The chemical compounds in grapefruit seed extract are quite strong, making the substance an excellent remedy for infections both inside and outside the body. The extract is rich in nutrients, plant antioxidants and phytochemicals – all natural immune system stimulators.
That said, the potency of grapefruit seed extract also has some downsides. Some studies have shown that grapefruit-based remedies can interact with medications in negative ways, leading to some adverse reactions.
Drug interactions are real, so use this extract with care and educate yourself well! Make sure you check with your healthcare provider before ingesting this alongside medications.
5 Powerful Uses for Grapefruit Seed Extract
1) Remedies skin irritation and psoriasis.
2) Is an excellent remedy for toenail fungus.
3) Protects skin wounds from infection.
4) Can be used as a throat gargle or mouthwash to kill bacteria.
5) Encourages heart health and helps manage high cholesterol.
6) Alkalizes the body.
7) Aids in weight loss.
8) Preserves homemade cosmetics.
9) Discourages fleas in pets.
10) Kills parasites in animal feed and in the home.
(under the courtesy of care2.com)